On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Hero's Journey / The Writer's Journey

THANKS TO SARAH WALKER-HOWE WHO SENT ME YESTERDAY'S BLOG. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Image hosting by Photobucket
When I saw Bill Moyers speak with Joseph Campbell about the Hero's Journey and storytelling (when I was a kid, before I was seriously writing, though telling myself stories at night), the interview blew my mind open -- like an explosion.

Then, much later, I heard about Christopher Vogler and his The Writer's Journey. I heard praise, then attended a seminar where he spoke and bought his book (autographed and I think I lent it to someone and never got it back), but I've read and reread that book. I know the mythic structure steps.

What also rang a chord with me is that I'd finished a book the day before I heard Vogler speak. I went home after the seminar and figured out the three acts of my novel and looked for the mythic structure. There it was. The threshold guardian. The approach to the innermost cave. In my pantzer fashion, I had told a "mythic" story.

Wow.

So this is one of those books that I would take to a desert island with me. That I refer to several times a year. That I work with every time I plot.

Once I have ideas for plot events, I use this to refine it...like I'm doing with Heart Fate, Tinne Holly's story. With luck and sweat, I'll have the synopsis done and ready for critique by some friends by Sunday night.

There's been plenty of articles on the Writer's Journey, on Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces (I think that's the book), on Following Your Bliss. You can get info off the web, but if you think it would work for you, buy the book.

May your bliss infuse you today.
Robin Image hosting by Photobucket

2 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Ah! Another book to add to my pile.
Thanks for the recommend!

Sounds like blogger's been a pain to you too. I've noticed it going down quite frequently in the last month. Glad to hear it's not just me.

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to write such insightful and helpful posts. It keeps the dream alive for me. Someday, I say...someday.

3:33 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Michele,

Keep writing and your dream will come true.

Robin

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]