On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Favorite Part of the Story

On the sly I've been writing a new book. I think an Urban Fantasy Romance. Decided my opening of my heroine sitting around and brooding about life would only get me in trouble -- as characters who don't have incredible motivation in their lives mean that I have to rewrite first chapters ad nauseum. Now she's evading bullets.

Ahem. I like writing the first part of a book the best, and in this I'm probably in the majority as I am in nothing else in my life. (I'm an INFJ, we're 1%, my Heart books are a niche market...) Most people who want to be writers have first chapters, or first three chapters, or half a book, in their drawer (or on their computer).

Usually my first chapters go well, and are relatively easy to write, inspiration pours through me. I don't care exactly where I'm going.

Currently, I have very little in clues about the world I'm building, and that makes me happy, too. Fun, fun, fun!

Now ending the book on the right note can be good, too, and is probably my second favorite time, if I can pull it off right.

But I love when everything is shiny and new. Shiny.

May every beginning go well for you today.
Love,
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:58 PM  
Blogger moonhart said...

oooOOOOOoooo! Look at the shiny new plot!

Preeeety.


moon

7:00 PM  
Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

Yay! A new story! I agree that this is the best time, right at the beginning. Then the end is fun, too. Of course, with newbies like me, that often leads to the dreaded "sagging middle" syndrome.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]