On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, May 20, 2006

In Print/Characters/Ideas

I remember the first time I got a constructive critique of HeartMate from someone who'd read the book. My immediate response (in my head) was "Wait, wait I can change that...add a sentence or two............" Then it struck me. After nine years of critique groups and four books written, I couldn't change a word.

I still can't even though it's being reissued in August. No copy edits. No galleys. Three cover flats, that's all. Not that I'm ashamed of HeartMate. Never. The book won me a RITA -- though I've grown as a writer and would tweak it...revise forever.

This topic actually came to mind a few minutes ago when I woke up. I got what I thought was a brilliant idea for Protector of the Flight. All I had to do to make it work was add one line to Sorceress of Faith...oops.

Naturally, I HAVE done this. If the previous book was in copy edits or galley stage, I could do this. I recently revised Heart Quest to include a better set up of Heart Match, just one page, and deleting a couple of lines/paragraphs where the previous set up (plot I previously had in mind), changed.

So books can blur in my mind, always protean. I don't think they ever are finished, even in print, in my head. Especially when I continue to write about T'Ash and Danith (and of course Zanth, the telepathic alley cat with Attitude) in other books.

I think I said this before -- when I went to finish a character interview of T'Ash to put on my website for one of my first WORLDs page (well, shoot, the link ain't showing up, see above). I learned more about him than I knew AFTER the book was in print. So your characters, if you're writing a series, do live with you forever, or at least that's the case for me. And they are a little different in my head, than on the page, too.

Of course no work ever matches the brilliance of the idea -- another topic you can think about today. For instance, people tell me they like the interview, think it's funny. I think the interview's sad.

Ok, enough for the deep philosophical stuff about artistry and writing before dawn...

Have a brilliant day.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice, cozy place you got here :)..

3:45 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you, I DO work hard on it....

Robin

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]