On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, May 19, 2006

Sexy Crimes -- Break Out Books

Kay Bergstrom (Cassie Miles), my mentor, and I were talking about how we can break out of niche markets. I'm of the opinion that all it would take is J.K. Rowling mentioning how she loves Robin D. Owens, but that has the odds of the lottery...

Anyway, since Kay writes mystery/suspense/romance for Harlequin Intrique, she said, "I need to think of a really sexy crime for a bigger book."

Off the top of my head, I named one (no, I ain't tellin, since I might want to use it someday), played with it a little, refined it a bit and we laughed. She agreed it was a sexy crime and threw out a couple more ideas.

But, truthfully, it would be HIDEOUS for me if I wrote a mystery and it hit big. I mean, the plotting! **Shudder** Then I'd really have to write mysteries and though I love reading them and figuring out the puzzle, trying to set something like that up might make me bleed from the ears.

Still, I really like my crime -- contemporary NY City, no paranormal, of course there'd be a romance....

Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just reserved Heart Quest at my book store and I asked the local library to get it too. Have you started with Heart March already? I hope you can produce a long & sucessful series in Celta like the Disk World of T.P. for the enjoyment of your readers.
I do not seem to be able to suspend my disbelief for "historicals" and "contemporary romances" The Heroes are too far away from any real man ever, before or now! Even considering wishful thinking.
I enjoy reading your blog everyday and I thank you.

7:55 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I have started Heart Match, I'm about a chapter in (for the proposal), and have an outline that may or may not change.

I still have story ideas. Heart Match, however, is pretty much about two people you meet in Heart Quest, though T'Willow has been mentioned as Heir to D'Willow.

Thanks for letting me know you like the blog.
Robin

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]