On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Mysteries

Not the genre. The MYSTERIES. Life, Death, God, State of Being, Love.

They aren’t easy to wrap the mind around. Sometimes they coalesce out of a fog and into diamond hardness, then you can glimpse a shining facet and you blink and they vanish.

I went to a memorial service of an aquaintance-friend last night, and was glad I’d met and spoken with her a couple of times lately. I knew Janet had fourth stage breast cancer, but I’d expected her to live much longer, as did everyone else. As did Janet herself: Janet's Walk

Janet lived LARGE, with zest, embracing every day. Embracing everyone. I don’t think I’ve met anyone else so exuberant, always. Which leaves me with incredible memories.

And the notion that living in the moment counts.

Of course I wondered. The crowd that showed up was about 250, I think. I don’t believe I’d have that many. I wouldn’t have The Sunny Side Of The Street played at my memorial, probably something haunting (I’ve been into haunting, lately. Rachmaninov’s Vocalise, Barber’s Agnus Dei, and when I drove home, Byrd’s Mass for Five Voices was playing and that was perfect, too).

We deal with the Mysteries in our books, that’s part of our job, to shine a light on a facet that has meaning for ourselves and might mean something to others.

May your writing touch on the Mysteries today.
Robin

1 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

And I would have Van Morrison's Dweller on the Threshold played on mine. But LORDY do I love BGB!

The one show I have always longed to perform.

moon

Sorry about Janet, RDO. ((())))

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]