On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Writing Rhythm

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingI've been taking it easy lately, making my Heart Match wordcount, reading (Harry Potter again) and making meals, thinking, polishing the wooden floors, etc. I rationalize that I'm letting myself rest after the huge stress of finishing a late book (I HATE missing deadlines with a passion, but I just-couldn't-get-it-in-on-time.) I'm not pushing myself. I don't know if that's good or not, but then, I tend to binge write.

I haven't actually gotten a good summer schedule going, and I won't because I'm taking another day job (they say two months and the hours might be able to be flexed) on the 19th. A little closer than the last two jobs (maybe only 10 minutes, but that counts!).

I'm wondering what my natural rhythm would be as a full time writer when I'm not a burnt out paralegal-writer. I don't think I've found it, and I think I DO need a good schedule.

In any event, I have to do a big push to get my urban fantasy proposal in shape, and the next 3 Luna books proposal definitely done by the end of the first week of July. So whatever long, relaxing hours I had are gone again, starting this afternoon....

May you find your writing rhythm today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

I have a writer question for you, Robin, just 'cause I'm curious. :)

When you submit a three-book proposal, what all goes into it? Is it just a bunch of synopses? Synopses with chapters, or...?

~Holly

3:56 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

On my last Berkley proposal I was told I only had to do an outline (which I equate with a synopsis), but I'll ALWAYS do pages, since I think that's my strength.

Anyway, it depends on who I'm submitting to. For a 3 book, I would usually do the first chapter or couple of chapters of book 1, first chapter of book 2 or 3, along with a more detailed outline of book 1, and shorter synopses of books 2-3.

For my Luna books, I intend to do first 3 chapters of book 1, long synopsis, and shorter synopses for books 2-3.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Nifty. I've always wondered (with a fair amount of dread since I'm unabashedly horrid at them) if editors prefer just the synopses. But then while reading your post, it occurred to me that I might trip up on first chapters to books way in the future. I'm not a full plotter by any means, but I *cannot* write out of sequence.

So, thanks for putting my mind at ease! I can't wait to find out what happens in the next three Lunas. Or for Protector of the Flight. Of for Non-essential book money to be able to start on the Heart series. :T Apparently, I'm a very impatient person!

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]