On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Copy Edits Ad Nauseum

Keepers of the Flame is out -- except for about 8 pages that got mixed in with the copies at Kinkos.

Such a mess it was with all the cuts and stets (leave it as it is) and rephrasing. Then I did the corrections in blue and they wanted them in red so when I finally forced myself to do the second pass yesterday (5 am to noon), I did them in red.

At least I nailed the end, my editor liked that. I still like the book, which is good. I just never want to see it again, which is bad because Author Alterations will be coming up shortly. I usually hand these off to my good friend and editor, Rose Beetem, but she RUNS Mile Hi Con and is busy crazy in October so I will be forced to do them myself, which means they aren't going to get an extremely keen eye for every comma. I'll be checking the cuts and adds.

Next up this week: Singer For a World proposal is due on Saturday. Since I believe that my editor doesn't quite remember that, I'll send it in on Monday. We'd negotiated 30 pages and a synopsis since this is the End of the Series. The synopsis is already written so a little revision there (and boy, I'll be glad to be able to talk about some of the twists in Keepers), also, I think I have my 30 pages, but I need to clean them up from critique group comments.

And change pursuant to blog comments (the change from cat to Lladranan Songbird). I also need to dig up a research map (small Victorian theater). But I see no reason that I can't make that deadline.

Even considering Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Conference this weekend (Thursday evening, Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon).

May you finish a project and feel good today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Catie said...

Ooooh, go to the conference and say hello to people for me! *hugs*!

-Catie

8:31 AM  
Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

Have fun at the conference, Robin! So glad you finished Keepers!

10:25 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Catie, I will, I talk about you often, reminding the org that we are INTERNATIONAL.

Crystal, thanks!
Robin

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]