On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Another Minor Downside of Writing Full Time

I've been having disturbing dreams lately and struggling awake and shuddering. I figured out another downside of writing full time. Staying at home and immediately starting writing -- alone -- doesn't always help these lingering dreams, since I usually liked to talk them over. And at work I could say a couple of sentences, because, you know, if you tell a dream, THEY get to tell a dream.

My publishing fire drill chained me to the computer so I really couldn't get out until after the business day ended in NY...it's over now, thankfully. Otherwise, though I wouldn't have inflicted the dreams on some unsuspecting barrista, I would have definitely taken myself out.

In fact that sounds wonderful, so I may pack up the laptop and off I go down to one of the coffeehouses. There's a new one, but I'm not quite ready to check it out yet. It, too, is an independent. So we have 3 in about a 3 block radius.

That's enough talkin' today, so I can get to the writing and earn a sticker for making my wordcount in my journal (my inner childlike self who writes is motivated by this).

May you enjoy your day, and tell any dreams you like to anyone you like....
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

get yourself a "dream catcher" I helps.

11:40 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Oh, of course! I have a piece of framed embroidery over my bed now that I did when I was in college, but a dreamcatcher could work fine. I actually prefer manmade materials since many times I don't know where any fur, feather, or gut comes from...

Thanks for the advice!
Robin

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to ask...what's a publisher's fire drill?

8:32 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

That's my own term for when I get something from one of my publishers which essentially means "You must drop everything else you are doing and do THIS now..."

And they happen more often than I care to believe.

Thanks,
Robin

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]