On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Mistakes/Regrets?

R&M, I WAS asleep. I woke up and dealt with a minor household disaster due to an error on my part. In my personal life I've made some mistakes lately that I regret, that I would do over again if I possibly could. So I'm living with those. And to settle myself down I looked at my email, etc. Then, since it's the beginning of a new day and the middle of a bitter winter night (6 below 0 Fahrenheit) I started thinking about regrets and decisions (ok, brooding. Scorpios do brood well).

One of the major decisions I made (on the fly) this year that heavily impacted my life was to take the short deadline on Keepers of the Flame and roll three books into two. I don't regret that decision. I was in the middle of a series, and even though *I* know how it ends, and could say "Oh, thus and such happens" it isn't the same as writing it, experiencing it as a reader, is it? Still, that is not a decision I will ever make again easily, and I'll certainly want more negotiation so I don't go crazy.

The business of publishing is something that is completely out of my hands and so far has been roller-coaster enough that I haven't been able to predict what would happen next, just roll with the punches. I don't see this changing, just see myself being faster on my feet.

And since I'm really mixing my metaphors, I should go back to bed and let an umpteenth listen to Orchid by Jayne Castle (Jayne Ann Krentz) put me to sleep. The cat, the wise one of us, is already back in the warm waterbed.

So may NO punches come your way today.
Robin

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

KEEPERS OF THE FLAME

Yay!! I just picked up the book tonight and am starting it as soon as I am done here. Looks like my poor husband will have to make dinner tonight ~_^

Tine

3:40 PM  
Blogger Diane P said...

Wow, what a great book Keepers of the Flame was. It is just exactly the kind of good book I love to read.

I can see how it could have been 2 books but I don't really see the third book. I was vastly disappointed to see that I have to wait until 2009 for the finale. Boo-hoo.

Seriously I really enjoyed the book. It will spoil me for awhile-I won't be as happy with the next several books I read. I really do wish you could write faster.;)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Carleen Brice said...

Hi Robin,
I saw KEEPERS OF THE FLAME on the front table at the B&N at the Pavilions and I picked it up. Congrats on the excellent placement!

6:15 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Anonymous, hope you enjoy it!

Carleen, thanks for the sighting!

Diane, I haven't even started working hard on Echoes of Darkness/Singer For A World/Whatever. All my focus is still on Heart Fate, which will be a very intimate book...an interior story.

Thanks for the lovely words. The Raine story would have been the other book, and I'll be squeezing her more into book 5, too.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Diane P said...

Have you thought about putting in a family chart in the Heart Fate series? I must admit that I have a tough time keeping everyone straight. I did attempt to go and replace the books prior in the series but did not have much luck.

1:50 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Diane, I did do a family tree of Holly/Blackthorn in Heart Dance and it will probably show up in Heart Fate, too, as well as a Cast of Characters.

I had a Cast of Characters for the Luna series, but the map took up two pages.

Robin

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]