On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Music Genome Project -- Pandora Radio

Photobucket
GIF courtesy of the late, great Moyra Web Jewels

I've finally found a new online streaming radio that I can program the way I like it...for instance in the Why Are We Playing This Song:

Based on what you've told us so far, we're playing this track because:

it features new age aesthetics, a prominent rhythm piano part, acoustic sonority, intricate melodic phrasing, and minor key tonality.

it features folk music influences, electronica influences, extensive vamping, major key tonality, and melodic songwriting.

it features new age influences, classical influences, electronica influences, inventive instrumental arrangements, and a slow moving bass line.

Then mix and match the phrases...
Huh. Who knew? I'm an author, not a musician, but, you know, I know what I like...

May you love the soundtrack of your life today.
Robin

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. Sounds rather goth to me, particularly the piano, "minor key tonality" and blend of classical and electronica influences. Granted, you're probably streaming some down-beat Yanni, but the description is goth. I bet you've gotten some Alkan, too, although he sounds like a hyperactive silent movie organ player to me.

Today feels jazz to me--Corinne Bailey Rae, Jamie Cullum, maybe some 50's swing.... It's the weather.

6:15 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yeah, it started to sound a little bland so I added some world music, latin, jazz (love sax), some classical, some very nice vocal music -- Loreena McKennitt, Anonymous Four...not much for hard rock, so I need to pick and choose. Need some good middle eastern music, too.

Robin

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check http://wc03.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:4512 for some suggestions.

I love allmusic.com--they're so handy for reference and ideas! You can search by genre, sounds like, country, artist.... Just about anything.

OK, now I am going to go work now. No, really, I am. :-)

1:43 PM  
Blogger Diane P said...

I sometimes use Pandora in my classroom. I can really see the generation gap then. I have to be careful though about the kind of music we choose.

We had some mountain snow so my Keepers did not get delivered yesterday-this delivery holiday season has messed up my book delivery.I am hoping today that enough snow will have melted that UPS will venture down our road.
I am looking forward to some good reading time. ;)

9:18 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks for the comments on music. I am back to doing random music on my computer for a while...

Diane, thanks for buying Keepers. Hope you enjoy it.
Robin

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]