On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, February 20, 2009

Envy

Envy, like other negative emotions is a waste of time and a drain of energy. It's also human so OF COURSE I feel it when I see other writers making more of a mark than I.

This can be hard, and I don't know that it's much talked about publicly, but we do talk about it privately.

That said, I'm not feeling too envious today. Yesterday was a day off, I think the book is in good shape (will hear back from other beta readers soon), and the sky is blue and the weather warmish for this time of year.

Again, as a writer, as with any other public entertainer, or any other person, you have to concentrate on the moment and that you have done your job well. If I want to break out of my midlist position, I must write something more popular, something that will get my editors behind me and push for the bigger numbers. So, that's what I can do myself to be less envious.

I can cherish the moment. It's been fifteen minutes and Tommy has only whined once. I have my lovely house and some good tea and a pretty day and a neighborhood where I can walk down to get primo bread. These things count.

Now, about the PEARLS, Heart Fate took Honorable Mention in the category I was in (Futuristic Romance). Yes,I felt a twinge of disappointment. But Jayne Ann Krentz (Jayne Castle) won for Dark Light. And she is a wonderful lady and I love, and buy, all her work. They are main comfort reads for me, whether she is Jayne Castle, Jayne Ann Krentz, or Amanda Quick. Those books are rewards...I got the latest as soon as I finished Heart Change.

So I can honestly say that I am sincerely happy she won the PEARL in my category. She is my hero.

And since I spent all day yesterday listening to music, trying to put together a strong soundtrack for my WORLDS website page and didn't actually DO the rest of my website work. I need to get to work.

But first I'll take a walk.

Whatever you do today, YOU'RE a winner.
Robin

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your new blue background...a bit more peaceful than the red.

7:55 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks. My computers usually show dark, so I don't see all the colors, and the other background seemed more like black. I was feeling peaceful yesterday so I did the blue...

Robin

8:08 AM  
Blogger TexasRed said...

Thanks for talking about envy. It's hard to balance wanting to learn from successful authors with that feeling sometimes.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny who people like to read and not read. I, personally, have nnever been able to get into Krentz/Castle, so I never even pick up her books to read the back cover. You, on the other hand, if you had a new book out every week, I would be buying it.

December is sooo farrr awwayyy.

Tine

8:53 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Texas Red, trust me, baby, it's always with you. Sigh.

I'm sure that some folk don't envy, and that's part of their character and make-up, but, scorpio here.

Tine, THANKS.

I think it will be November, which is a little sooner. Actually it will be the beginning of November. ;)

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]