On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Internals

"Internals" is what my group calls the thinking in your head stuff. Reacting to events, reviewing options, changing WHY you do things. I took Chapter 2 of Heart Journey to Critique which was 12 ms. pages long, most of them internals. I knew it was too long but was struggling with the set up of the character, Del, and the book. So it was something I needed to know, but could thread in for the reader later.

I'm must remember that Del is a very direct woman, not one who does self-examination very often or for very long.

In any event, I cleaned up the chapter to make it stronger as advised by the group (I was keeping Heart Fate in mind and they weren't). So now Chapter 2 is 6 pages and I'll be moving the scenes that were going into 3 into 2...

Internals: make them as brief and pithy as possible. If you can show a person's emotional struggle when they are talking with someone else or acting, that's even better.

May you forget about self-examination today and go with the flow, whatever that might be.
Robin

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

Robin,

I just found these online writing courses at www.carolinaromancewriters.com

You should do one of these and let us know when you do!

8:38 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Hi, Tannun,

I've done a few online writing courses, but not lately...

THANKS!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]