On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, April 02, 2009

It Just Slipped Out

All right, so I was writing:

"Even before the curtain rose, there was a buzz from the audience – mostly nobles. who didn't have any pressing engagments for the next day. The house was full, unusual on this last weekend night. Gossip about the petty thefts must have made the rounds, along with the old rumor that the Newest Globe was cursed...if the portraits of the founders weren't hanging in the Green Room."

I had no idea that there would be a curse in this book. In fact, a curse has no place in this book, and is not part of the plot.

So, like, do I add a thread? Or do I cut the line? Or do I leave it and lead readers on?

It would be an interesting twist, a cursed theater, but it's not really where I want to go. I have done (and sold) the synopsis and there is no curse, the plot is pretty full as it is, and as always I don't have the time to mess around with a new plot thread. Again, if I was unpublished and playing with the story, I could do this. Not now.

It depends, some, on atmosphere. I am building up to a party atmosphere (wherein Raz and Del meet), not spiralling down to a tragedy (Tragedy in Chapter Three, that has a ring).

Nor is anything going to happen during the play -- which is a mystery -- or that night, and the founder's portraits (new ones) will be mentioned as replaced. So why keep the line?

It could be set-up for a book far, far in the future, but maybe only I would catch it, and the line has nothing to do with THIS story. So the line goes. But it was nice to think about a little.

May you enjoy your imagination today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reader..
leave it in, as a passing comment/background; maybe you could use it in a future book or not but it adds atmosphere and character. Like when you describe an old city/house etc. you cannot explain everything to the last detail! and the bits left "untouched" keep things mysterious and interesting: that feeling that there is always more to things;

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Tango, again!

Tango Bar DVD ~ Carlos Gardel - Raul Julia

This movie, I think amazon has it, would give you a wonderful insight on the passion of the Tango, from Numero Uno: Carlos Gardel - Argentina

You might love it!

Your books are yours and if things work for you that is as it should be! We readers can always add our own spin on them and enjoy.
Thanks again for your blog; I do not write but love reading it ... add a new richness to reading

12:20 PM  
Blogger Jenny Schwartzberg said...

I'd leave it in but you have to do what works for you. I'm so tantalized...

12:52 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

LOL, I DID cut it, but added more romance hinting at his HeartMate instead.

THANKS,
Robin

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]