On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Answer re: Selling on Proposals

After I sold HeartMate I concentrated on getting Heart Thief and Heart Duel done since they were both about half done. (I entered them in contests). I believe Heart Thief was done before purchased 15 months after I sold HeartMate.

Then the paranormal genre took off. I got my 3rd agent and she sold Heart Duel. I know it wasn't finished at the time. Since then I've sold on proposal.

HOWEVER, the first Luna books proposal took me, literally, four months to put together -- three chapters of book one, one of book two, and one of book three, along with synopses of those books. OTOH, my agent said that it was the best proposal she'd ever seen at the time. ;)

The synopses are the hardest for me.

I still have many tools/crutches for plotting, along with lighting candles and prayer. ;)

Book contracts will let you know when a proposal is due. This includes when the contract ends, because I have option clauses in my contracts.

For Berkley, my option clause is "the next full ms. set on Celta," so it's very narrow. For Luna, I think it's something like "the next ms. appropriate for Luna," which is pretty wide, but I can essentially avoid that by making the male POV stronger than the female, or, probably, by making it a romance.

Ebook numbers. Yes, I think they are reported on my royalties pages. To be honest, trying to decipher the royalty pages is tough for me, so I have pretty much given up more than a glance.

May you enjoy your weekend.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]