On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Whose Story Is It, Anyway?

Whose Story Is It, Anyway? I've been reading an e-series with an ensemble cast -- and though I'm okay in general with this, I am missing the idea of who exactly the main character and protagonist is. Now, I know that George R.R. Martin has huge fantasy books, but the one I'm reading is a light contemporary paranormal series.

I would strongly recommend knowing who your main character/protagonist is and sticking with him/her -- showing most of the action in his/her point of view and having most of the book be linear with regard to his/her growth.

Because, at the end of this particular book in this particular ongoing series, I wasn't as satisfied as I would have been if I'd been solid in one (or two or even three or four) points of view.

In the Heart books, which are romances, I stick with the hero's and the heroine's point of view -- 2, the couple -- that's it.

The Lladrana series usually had no more than four, and usually 2-3.

Enchanted No More was a departure for me in that it had only one point of view.

I believe when you limit your point of view, you make your character and your story deeper.

My thoughts and ideas,
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Hello everyone I'm back (don't ask - terrible few months after breaking arm & leg, urgh). I both love and hate the multi-p.o.v. saga's. It's good to get a view of all sides when it's an epic but sometimes (I'm thinking Wheel of Time) you find yourself flicking forward to the next chapter with the same character to check the cliffhanger resolution (why does each chapter need a cliffhanger?!). And of course there's the basic confusion of so many characters and scientificky storylines (now I'm looking at David Weber). Sometimes its good to just have a couple of viewpoints to keep the story tidy - like yours Robin.
(Oh and Hearts & Swords - love it!)

5:50 PM  
Blogger azteclady said...

I don't love nor hate having multiple POVs, but I enjoy it when my reading style/taste mesh with the writer's style/talent.

For example, I have no issue with Suzanne Brockmann or Nora Roberts having six or more POV characters, but I've read some novels in which the device didn't work for me at all.

On the other hand, very few books with only ONE point of view work for me--Ann Aguirre's novels are a consistent and delightful exception.

And don't get me started on first person (with Ann's books, again, being the exception that confirms the rule).

7:29 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Glad I'm not the only one...

Robin

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]