On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, August 05, 2013

Heart Fortune Out Tomorrow!

I am thrumming like a vibrating cord. This book was a hard one (all right I say that about most of my books, but this still seems harder than most), and I think it has some of my best writing!

Anyway, RT's Review: ****1/2 HOT
.
Choosing your own path is a key theme of the latest Celta novel by consistently fabulous storyteller Owens. Because of the bad example of a Heartbond set by his parents, this hero is a loner with few ties. Packed with adventure, sabotage and reluctant passion, Heart Fortune is a dynamite read that is sure to please fans of this outstanding long-running series.

SUMMARY: After his mother essentially killed his father, Jace Bayrum has kept his emotions in check. To make a living, Jace takes on dangerous tasks. His current project is the excavation of the lost starship Lugh’s Spear. Glyssa Licorice senses her HeartMate is in great danger. She had only a brief affair with Jace, and neither admitted they were HeartMates, but now Glyssa has the opportunity [to]* spend time time with Jace at the dig site. When someone frames Jace for theft, it will be up tp Glyssa to help unearth the truth! (BERKLEY, Aug.,384 pp., $15.00) Jill M. Smith

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was lucky to get the book on July 30, and couldn't put it down. On the second reading now. I must admit that I prefer the H to be madly in love, woo and pursuit the h, but I enjoyed your book very much and look forward to more stories about Celta.
Keep up the good work and Thanks!
Marina

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a long time reader, I loved heart fortune! the book stayed true to the ever more detailed world of Celta. Already anxious and eager for the next book. As long as you write them, I will buy them! So many wonderful characters to come - please antean moss!

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Janhavi said...

Heart Fortune was great! I put up an Amazon review as JN, hope that helps :) I am in India right now, so I got up at 9.30 (midnight EST) and read all day :) Delightful!

Though I love all your books, I must admit I found Heart Secret relatively depressing, since the characters are so unhappy most of the time. This was a return to the lighter feel of earlier books.

I liked that their relationship progressed slowly, and several weeks pass in the book.

Some moments I loved: when Ruis Elder does his fake coughing, when Jace gives the residence a gift, when Glyssa suggests that Enata visit T'Willow.

Zem and Lepid are fabulous, as I mentioned in the review, I think these are some of the best animals you have written. Truly unique!

I like that Maxima has the Elecampane Family flair :) Seems appropriate, otherwise the title really should go to Doolee!

I noticed that you changed the Licorice family a lot. In Heart Search, Glyssa had a brother, and she was the Heir, not her sister. I guess that didn't work with the plot here!

I hope Jace takes the Licorice name. So far, except for the women with titles, all heroines have taken the husband's name. Now, I understand for Lark and Lahsin Holly, and Artemisia of course had lots of issues with her maiden name. And I guess Ilex Winterberry was so much older than Trif it made sense, yet they *act* like Clovers- they live their, their daughter is considered a potential Heir, etc...But Jace should become part of the Licorice family!

Could you tell us who will be Licorice Heir?

I must admit, it felt a bit bittersweet that Glyssa and Jace are moving so far away from all their friends and family in Druida City..

Well, enough musings. It was delightful to return to Celta and visit old and new characters! Thank you for these wonderful books!!

Janhavi

6:42 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Janhavi, thanks for the review, and darn it about the change in the Licorice family. I definitely need to keep better track of that. I'm so sorry. That bugs me with other authors and now I've done it (more than once) myself.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Janhavi said...

Oh, don't apologize! Celta is a huge and complex world, these tiny things don't matter..

For that matter, some characters make Heartgifts in Second Passage, some in Third, I noticed that in this book you inserted that it depends on the person's Flair. That was a nice detail to clarify :)

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The whole thing. with the older sister felt rushed. I was hoping to get a short story with Barton and yes who will be licorice,heir?

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Judy said...

Picked it up this morning since I had time before a dentist appointment. I like it so far.

3:02 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Ah, Anon. with regard to the older sister, my editor wanted me to cut those chapters (I write long) and I did. I'll be posting them here, probably starting today.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]